A Guard No More

          As of today, I have been discharged as a Whiterun guard. Jarl Balgruuf gave the order. To add insult to injury, my craving for lox was the final straw.
I went and talked to Farengar, our court wizard, and asked if he knows anything. He said it must’ve been something I ate, a potion I drank, or a spell I was under. I decided to tell him that someone casted an Illusion spell on me last week, it was a pretty strong spell because I don’t remember anything while under its effects. Farengar concluded that the craving for lox must be some kind of residual effect from the spell. Whoever casted it is no doubt a powerful wizard, because the effect still lingers.
          My conversation with Farengar apparently got out to Irileth, then the Jarl. Needless to say, the jig was up. Now everyone knows I was the one who let Adriane’s murderer escape.
          Dora was surprised when she saw me coming home early. When I told her what happened, she wasn’t ashamed or angry. She only smiled and said that I’ll have more time to spend with her and Fiona now. Since we have just about a hundred septims left, Dora used the leftover lox to make dinner. In all my thirteen years under this roof, dinner had never tasted so good.
12th of Last Seed.

No comments:

Post a Comment