In the Mood for Lox (Revised)


          I was assigned to stand guard at the main gate today. At around noon, I felt the oppressing sun, filtered through the holes in my chainmail, pressing against the back of my neck. It must’ve triggered something. A strange inclination took over me. I suddenly had the urge to eat some lox. I suddenly craved lox as if I was a vampire craving for blood.
          I felt as if I was under a spell. Could someone have casted an Illusion spell on me while I was unaware? It was almost like a state of sleep paralysis. My body moved perfectly, driven by an overwhelming epicurean crave for lox, a desire to gnaw a salmon down to its bones and sinews.
I couldn’t resist it. I faintly remember leaving my post, and walking over to Anoriath at the market. Images of salmon, swimming in the cold streams, flashed before me. I saw salmon jumping and pushing against the relentless stream. But when I got to the marketplace, I had already forgotten why I was there. So, I stood in front of Anoriath’s stall for a while, staring at those lox without saying anything. He spoke. But I could hear no words.
I told Dora and Fiona what happened to me when I returned. Dora, Divines bless her, immediately went to find Anoriath, the hunter and meat merchant at the market. It was already dark, so Anoriath closed the stall and was heading home. Somehow, Dora still managed to buy some lox from him. We had lox for dinner, a lot of it in fact. I couldn’t finish my portion, and had three pieces left.
Fiona enjoyed it through. She downed the about five pieces. If she had a craving like that every day, I don’t know how I would feed her. She’s growing up real fast.
11th of Last Seed.

No comments:

Post a Comment